Owner's Board

Reply To: New Trolling Motor Thoughts

Home Forums Bass Cat Boats New Trolling Motor Thoughts Reply To: New Trolling Motor Thoughts

oldtimer57
Participant

Brushless motors are good with respect to efficiency.  They use less power and produce more thrust.  Their only shortcoming is that they are basically an “inside-out” motor, the armature is wrapped around the outside of the motor and can’t move. (now called the stator).  The magnetic field (rotor) is now in the middle and needs no electrical connections, it is just a set of strong permanent magnets.  But to make it run, SOMETHING has to switch the +/- power connections to make the magnetic field revolve and drag the magnetic center part around.  That something is an electronic device (could be computer-based or just hall effect transistors to measure angular position of rotor), which adds some extra electronic circuitry above what is needed for the brushed motors.

I’ve flown radio-controlled aircraft (airplanes and helicopters) for a LONG time.  I’ve watched the electric motors get stronger, lighter, same for batteries such as the LiPO types.  30 years ago a R/C electric helicopter were just a dream.  Today this is the preferred method of power, thanks to the efficiency of brushless motors.

Like everything else, as you add complexity, you add additional room for failure.  But the overall effect is a big gain.  And that is just performance.  There’s also the no commutator and associated brushes and wear to deal with.  So a little simpler from that perspective.  A water leak won’t be as bad if you catch it soon enough that you don’t get rust anywhere.  So there’s lots of good with these things.  And like the 4-stroke revolution, brushless is the future for electric motors.

Needless to say, I like ’em.

Skip to toolbar